Bold Penguin is a fast-paced and fast-growing Software as a Service company in Columbus, Ohio focused on building innovative solutions for the commercial insurance industry. We take both work and fun seriously. Seriously. We consistently deliver mind-boggling results and strive for efficiency in all that we do.
We favor modern but proven technologies and our stack currently includes Linux, Amazon Web Services, Ruby on Rails, Python and Django, Angular, Puma, MySQL, PostgresSQL, Redis, and Capistrano.
We’re seeking a Systems Engineer who will serve as a cross-functional member of the engineering team. This person must embrace DevOps culture and practice. We’re at a pivotal point where we’re building the platform that will serve as the foundation of our business for years to come. This is a full-time position located in Columbus, Ohio.
- Implements, administers, and configures system, network, application server, and infrastructure automation embracing a “cattle not pets” philosophy
- Automates the deployment pipeline to enable frequent deployments and consistent builds from development through production
- Responsible for site reliability engineering—designing resilient systems and applications, troubleshooting performance or availability issues, and participates in the on-call rotation
- Creates monitoring systems and collects data to have visibility into the entire technology platform including operational status as well as performance metrics
- Implements, operates, and tunes in memory data stores and relational databases to ensure high availability and data consistency
- Shares responsibility for security operations ensuring that security is embedded throughout the platform including builds and automation
- 3+ years experience in infrastructure, operations, and/or other engineering role including responsibility for web operations using automation
- Relevant certifications such as RHCE, LPIC, and/or CISSP preferred
- Experience in technology companies and startups using open source technologies and laaS platforms such as AWS to automate and scale distributed computed platforms
- Strong communication skills
- Team player mentality with no aversion to occasional “on call” hours
Preferred, but not required
Salary & Benefits
To learn more about Bold Penguin’s results-focused culture and employee-focused perks, read more on our jobs page.